Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
My dear friend CarrolJ sent me the cookbook "Santa's Favorite Hokiday Treats and Christmas Sweets: This is a recipe in that cookbook, that with a bit of tweeking is a favorite of people who received it in their Gift Baskets this year. Many rave notices and requests for the recipe already and I haven't had the book but a week.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter (the recipe calls for shortening)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (I included a tbls of lemon zest for a more lemony flavor)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (again I added 1 tbls Lemon zest for that added lemony flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Blend the sugar and shortening (Butter) until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add milk, vanilla extract, and lemon extract, add zest if using. Mix until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture, a little at a time Mixing until combined, the dough will be quite sticky.
- Drop spoonfulls of the dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes. Place cookies on cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To Make Icing: Combine the confectioners sugar, and lemon extract, if using lemon zest add that too. Beat until smooth and make icing thick enough to spread onto cooled cookie. You may need to add a bit more confectioners sugar to reach YOUR desired consistency, but as this recipe was given was perfect for me. Allow icing to harden prior to putting into an airtight container, and store at room temperature.
This is a great tasting cookie. It has a lot of lemon flavor. I did use the extra lemon zest. The family just raved over them. Will make again. Thanks for posting.