Recipe by Galley Wench
Santa Rosalia is a small Mexican mining town located on the coast of the Sea of Cortez (Baja Side). Their claim to fame is a church built by Gustave Eiffel and their hot dogs! At dusk every night, a street cart parks across from the church and sets up for business. Their hot dogs are wrapped in bacon and served on a slightly sweet bun, with a 'sea' of condiments to choose from. They are, by far, the best hot dogs I've ever eaten! NOTE: So far I've not been successful in replicating their buns, but this recipe is still wonderful with a high quality store bought buns (such as Sara Lee Soft and Smooth Buns) or Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns ! UPDATE: I've been making them on a griddle on the stove top and it works great.
Top Review by my3beachbabes
This was a new and exciting way to top a plain old hot dog!! The whole family loved it and told me they couldn't wait for me to make these again!! Loved the bite of the cilantro. I also use some cheez whiz on top.... Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 5
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns, Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- ketchup (optional)
- mustard (optional)
- mayonnaise (optional)
- relish (optional)
- cheese sauce (optional)
- lettuce, shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together chopped tomato, onion, cilantro and jalapeno and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium/high.
- Wrap hot dogs with bacon, securing with a tooth pick.
- Warm hot dog buns and wrap in foil.
- Grill dogs to desired crispness, turning often.
- Serve on buns with assorted condiments.
- ENJOY! :=) .