Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a barbecue-style bean recipe that's traditionally served with grilled Santa Maria Tri-Tip, Santa Maria-Style Salsa, and corn tortillas. Pinquito beans (they might also be labeled "pink beans") are more authentic, and better if you can find them, but pinto beans will work, too. Look for pinquitos at a Latino market if you have one close by, or you can order them online.
- Pick over beans to remove dirt and small stones; cover with water and let soak overnight in a large container.
- Drain, cover with fresh water and simmer 2 hours, or until tender (pintos may need longer).
- Sauté bacon and ham until lightly browned; add to beans.
- Sauté onions in bacon fat until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and sauté a minute or two longer.
- Add tomato puree, chili sauce, sugar, mustard, and salt.
- Drain most of liquid off beans and stir in sauce. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.