Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A very good bean recipe I found on the internet back in the olden days when there were no graphics and no color monitors...a long time ago! I did not add overnight soaking in prep time.
- 1 lb dried pink beans (red beans or pinto beans)
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 cup ham, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup canned red chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight.
- Drain and cover with fresh cold water and simmer 2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, sauté bacon and ham until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 or 2 minutes, then add tomato puree, chili sauce, sugar, mustard and salt.
- Drain most of liquid off beans and stir in sauce.
- Keep warm over very low heat, or in low oven until ready to serve.