Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This is a cute variation on traditional meringue kisses. Adapted from Family Fun.
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- red colored crystal sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 200°F.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks start to form. Beating all the while, add the cream of tartar and vanilla extract, then slowly add the 1/2 cup of sugar. Continue to beat until the peaks stiffen.
- Spoon the meringue into a quart-size plastic bag. Snip off a corner and pipe 2 dozen 1 1/2-inch-tall Santa hat triangles onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (you should have about 1/4 of the meringue left).
- Sprinkle the triangles with the red sugar, then use the remaining meringue to give each one a pom-pom and trim.
- Bake the hats until they're hard but not browned, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave the hats in it for an hour to crisp before removing.