Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is supposed to be like the Applebees chicken they serve.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack cheese (or larger)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- Cut some of the cheese into 8 slices, and reserve part of it for the cheese sauce.
- Place 1 chicken breast between two sheets of wax paper. Working from the center to the edges pound with a meat mallet until flat and rectangular shaped. Repeat with remaining breasts. Wrap the flattened chicken breasts around cheese. Secure with wooden picks or uncooked spaghetti noodles.
- Combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, cumin and pepper. Roll the secured chicken pieces in the melted butter and then in the bread crumb mixture. Place chicken breasts in a 13- by 9-inch baking dish, but don't crowd them.
- Drizzle the remaining butter over all eight of the breasts. Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze to bake later (baking time will be increased by about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Make a roux with butter and flour. Add about 1 cup milk. Bring to a simmer. Add cheese and lower the heat, stirring constantly so cheese does not burn. Add milk as needed to thin out the cheese sauce. Dice bell peppers.
- When chicken is done, pour some cheese sauce over top and sprinkle with diced peppers.