My friend Mary Pat gifted this recipe to me since she knows my penchant for easy Tex-Mex dishes. This would be a perfect vegetarian meal or could be rounded out with a grilled chicken breast for a heartier low-fat meal. Note: Cook time does not include cooking the rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium green peppers (julienned)
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (you choose the heat level)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained & rinsed (black beans would work too)
- 2 (11 ounce) cans Mexican-style corn, drained
- 3 cups cooked rice (use your favorite method to cook)
- 6 cups shredded lettuce (about 1 head)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) bag baked corn tortilla chips (or use Homemade Baked Chips (Tortilla or Pita))
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (6 oz by weight)
- low-fat sour cream (to garnish)
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green peppers & onions. Cook till tender-crisp.
- 2Add salsa, beans, corn & rice. Cook till thoroughly heated.
- 3To Serve: For each serving -- Place 1 cup lettuce on serving plate, surround lettuce with tortilla chips, top with warm vegetable mixture, sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese evenly on top of each serving & garnish with sour cream.
- 4If your diet can bear it, some sliced avocado would also be a wonderful addition.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Santa Fe Salad for Twissis
Serving Size: 1 (645 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.4
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 1960.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 25.6 g