Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A delicious and spicy chowder from Moosewood. I serve it with warmed tortilla chips.
Top Review by FaithB25
This soup has an incredible blend of flavors that made smile. The vegetables make it very colorful and healthy. I used cream cheese which made the taste and texture slightly creamy. I served this soup with crackers because I was out of tortilla chips. Tortilla chips would have made it even better. Thanks for the recipe
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh green chili peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers or 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup corn kernel, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup diced zucchini or 1 cup yellow squash
- 2 ounces neufchatel cheese or 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, add the chiles, onion, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt, and oil.
- Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are clear.
- Add in the carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the bell peppers, tomatoes, corn, and zucchini, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on medium-high for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer 3 cups of the vegetables from the soup into the container of a blender.
- Add the Neufchatel, cheddar, and milk.
- Process until smooth.
- Add puree back to the soup; stir to combine and reheat if necessary.