Recipe by Irmgard
This is loosely based on a Rachael Ray recipe but changed slightly to make preparation easier.
Top Review by 922204
My husband and even my 15 month old toddler LOVE this recipe. I use half a can of regular diced tomatoes and one can of fire roasted diced tomatoes for a little more kick. Plus I add some Goya seasoning with cilantro. At serving, we also throw in some avocado and squeeze lime juice over it. It is truly a winner in our book.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- black pepper
- 1 zucchini, diced small
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped (You can use 2 if you like things spicier)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 sweet red pepper, roasted, peeled and diced
- 4 cups tortilla chips, broken up
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven and add the chicken.
- Season with the poultry seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Lightly brown the chicken.
- Add the zucchini, onion, garlic and chipotle pepper.
- Cook the vegetables with the chicken 5 to 7 minutes to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the corn and roasted red pepper to the soup and heat through.
- At this point, you can stir the crushed tortilla chips into the soup but I prefer to divide them between the soup dishes and ladle the hot soup over them.
- Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and a generous sprinkle of cheese.