Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This quick and easy soup is filled with robust flavors, feeds a crowd, and is a real pleaser.
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (finely diced)
- 12 cups chicken stock (homemade or canned)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Del Monte zesty jalapeno pepper diced tomato
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 16 ounces black bean and rice mix (2 boxes Zataran black beans and rice)
- 1 (14 ounce) bagpictsweet frozen corn and black beans
- 14 ounces black beans
- 5 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and cumin. Grill for 5 minutes each side. Let them rest while you make the rest of the soup.
- Heat your dutch oven over high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, add onions, celery and garlic. Allow onions to brown slightly.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, corn, black beans and rice. Bring to a gentle boil. Add cumin, coriander and cilantro. Cook until beans and rice are done, approximately 25 minutes.
- Cut chicken breasts into one inch cubes and add to the soup. Allow another 10 to 15 minutes to continue to cook.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, some corn chips with guacamole -- for a complete dinner.
This is absolutely wonderful. The flavors as described are truly robust. I made a few changes for our taste. I only used 8 cups of stock and only 1 box of the black bean and rice mix. (Didn't read the recipe right) Added a 1/2 cup of regular rice. I also left out the bag of frozen corn and black beans. Added a can of corn. Then DH tasted it before I added the chicken and he wanted me to add smoked sausage. So I browned some sausage really well and added it to the soup. Fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing this.