Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
Do not let the list of ingredients keep you from making this salad. Most of the ingredients are for the marinade and salsa which should be made the day before and refrigerated. The remaining ingredients are the salad and side items. It is super quick to throw together the next day and tastes awesome. The tequila-lime chicken is outstanding on its own and you may want to make extra Pico de Gallo to keep in the fridge. I have adapted this recipe from a former Applebee's employee. The recipe is scaled down for one serving, so adjust for more servings. Cooktime is marinade time.
Top Review by Bloo2
This is easily our favourite salad! We used to eat it at Applebee's all the time and found this copycat recipe and make it at home once a month. I didn't find it expensive like another user because I have tequila at home at all times (we have a margarita maker), so other than the chicken I think it's a relatively cheap meal at home. I leave out the vinegar and garlic powder because it tastes better without it and we buy the PC Salsa Ranch dressing to put on it instead of mixing the pico de gallo with the ranch dressing. I'd rather put heaping fulls of the pico on top of the salad. My husband is cooking the chicken on the BBQ right now for our salad as I type this out. Looking forward to the best salad there is!
Tequila-Lime Chicken Marinade
- 29.58 ml gold tequila
- 59.14 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- 29.58 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4.92 ml fajita seasoning mix
- 3.69 ml minced fresh jalapeno pepper (seeded)
- 3.69 ml minced fresh garlic
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1 boneless chicken breasts, skin on or 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
Pico de Gallo
- 1 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4.92-9.85 ml diced jalapeno (we like more!)
- 28.39 ml fresh cilantro (diced)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 0.59 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml white vinegar
- 44.37 ml ranch dressing (they use Naturally Fresh brand lo-fat)
- tortilla chips (multi-colored or regular) or corn tortilla strips (multi-colored or regular)
- chopped scallion, sprinkled on top
- 28.34 g sour cream (ramekin at 9 o'clock)
- 28.34 g guacamole (ramekin at 3 o'clock)
- 56.69 g pico de gallo, recipe above (ramekin at 12 o'clock)
- 709.77-946.36 ml torn salad greens
- 28.39-59.14 ml shredded monterey jack cheese or 28.39-59.14 ml shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine marinade ingredients in a container with lid. Add Chicken and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Combine Pico de Gallo ingredients in a small bowl with lid and place in refrigerator overnight with chicken.
- Remove chicken from marinade and sprinkle with fajita seasoning. Grill skin-side down for about 5 minutes, turn and continue to grill for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. I use my George Forman grill with fantastic results (about 7 minutes).
- While the chicken is grilling combine ranch dressing with 2 Tablespoons of the Pico de Gallo. Set Aside.
- Prepare Garnishes.
- Toss salad greens with cheese and remaining Pico de Gallo (or less - to taste). Sprinkle with fried tortilla strips or lightly crushed tortilla chips.
- Cut chicken into strips and place on top of greens. Add Garnishes to plate.