Recipe by bmcnichol
This is a great casserole that freezes and reheats well.
Top Review by JustGina410
This was really tasty! I didn't get to the freezer with it this time, but will next time. The only problem I had was the consistency of the corn tortillas. They seemed to almost disappear in the liquid. But the flavor was yum! Next time I will either use flour tortillas or a double layer of the corn ones. But definately a keeper! Thanks!.....Gina :)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 ounces frozen fully cooked diced chicken
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (24 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Stir in frozen chicken, black beans and salsa.
- If freezing, cool onion and garlic mixture before adding frozen chicken.
- In 2 quart glass baking dish, pour taco sauce onto bottom.
- Lay four corn tortillas over sauce. Top with half of chicken mixture. Spoon on half of sour cream. Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, sour cream and cheese. Cover with foil.
- You can wrap the casserole well and freeze up to 3 months or cook now.
- If cooking now, bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes until bubbly. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until cheese is melted.
- If frozen, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator, then bake covered at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until bubbly; uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until cheese melts.