Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a lighter version of the Monterey Chicken Freezer Dinner Kit that I found on here. We're very health-conscious in my family, so I like taking recipes and playing with them! This is a great way to use all those veggies you've got growing in your garden. Prep time includes time for thawing.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika (less if you're using smoked paprika)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (to taste, we like it spicy)
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn, frozen
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant rice
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large freezer bag, combine the chicken, olive oil, paprika and chili powder. Mix thoroughly to coat the chicken with the spices. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal the bag.
- In a quart-sized freezer bag, add the onions, peppers, corn and garlic.
- In another quart-sized freezer bag, add the tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Place the rice and cheese in their own freezer bags.
- Put all of the freezer bags into a large freezer bag or freezer-friendly plastic container and seal it up. **Note: It's not really necessary to freeze the rice, but I've found it helps make things go more quickly if it's already on hand and measured out when you go to cook.
- To cook: Take the package out of the freezer to thaw at least an hour beforehand (or use a microwave if you forget!).
- Add chicken mixture to a medium hot pan, cook until golden brown; transfer to a plate or bowl and keep warm.
- Stir in veggie mixture and cook until tender.
- Add in tomato mixture; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and chicken. Cover and reduce heat to warm or low until rice is done, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cheese. Enjoy!