Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
An easy festive dish for the crockpot that goes great with warm tortillas. Spice it up if you like!
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup chunky salsa (your favorite brand, hot or mild)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- Place chicken in bottom of the crockpot.
- Top chicken with black beans, corn, and salsa.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2 1/2-3 hours, or until chicken is cooked through; do not overcook.
- Lift chicken to the top of vegetables; top with cheese and cover crockpot until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken with corn/bean salsa and garnished with chopped cilantro.
We make something almost exactly like this! It's a staple at our house - cheap and healthy! I've never added grated cheese however, so I might have to try it! Some tips: you can use frozen chicken breasts ($12 for 5lbs at Costco), just throw them in and they cook up fine. We shred our chicken (with two forks) about 1/2 hour before serving and you can toss in a block of cream cheese at that time. Stir and we've served it over rice or in tortillas.