Recipe by Sue Lau
An easy festive dish for the crockpot that goes great with warm tortillas. Spice it up if you like!
Top Review by MEPeralto
We make something almost exactly like this! It's a staple at our house - cheap and healthy! I've never added grated cheese however, so I might have to try it! Some tips: you can use frozen chicken breasts ($12 for 5lbs at Costco), just throw them in and they cook up fine. We shred our chicken (with two forks) about 1/2 hour before serving and you can toss in a block of cream cheese at that time. Stir and we've served it over rice or in tortillas.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup chunky salsa (your favorite brand, hot or mild)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in bottom of the crockpot.
- Top chicken with black beans, corn, and salsa.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2 1/2-3 hours, or until chicken is cooked through; do not overcook.
- Lift chicken to the top of vegetables; top with cheese and cover crockpot until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken with corn/bean salsa and garnished with chopped cilantro.