Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a skillet meal from Light and Tasty Magazine. We found it a little spicy so we use a half can of each the milder and regular Rotels. We use the 75% fat free Cabot white cheddar cheese. This has turned into a family favorite and is healthy as well.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced fat free chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained (Rotel)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Saute the onion and garlic in large skillet until tender. Add broth and tomatoes/chillies and bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Stir for a minute. Reduced heat to a simmer.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt, pepper and cummin. Place over rice mixture. Cover skillet and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir rice and turn chicken over for additional 5-10 minutes until chicken juices are clear. Remove from heat and sprinkle chicken with cheese; cover let stand for 5 minutes.
- The hardest thing with this recipe is to get all the rice cooked all the way through. The original recipe didn't call for stirring the rice while cooking but we can't figure out a way to get it all cooked without doing so.