1/1 Photo of Santa Cruz Cinnamon Rolls
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Hannah Verrinder's Note:
I made them for a beach trip to Santa Cruz with my friends.They're pretty delicious, but then I'm not sure I've seen an unappetizing cinnamon roll.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk (120-130F) or 1 cup non-dairy milk (120-130F)
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 large egg (or 1 unit egg substitute)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (very soft) or 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (very soft)
- 1In large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, salt, and yeast.
- 2To warm milk, add butter, stirring until melted; add to dry ingredients.
- 3Add egg.
- 4Stir with a wooden spoon until too tough to stir; mix in remaining ingredients with hands.
- 5Knead about 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- 6Grease large bowl; place dough in bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel, and let rise about 1.5 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- 7In a small bowl, mix together spices and brown sugar.
- 8Punch down dough to deflate. Move to a floured surface and roll into a 10 by 15 inch rectangle.
- 9Spread with butter; sprinkle on sugar and spices.
- 10Roll the rectangle up in a log, beginning at a 15-inch side, so that the resulting log is longer than it is wide. Pinch the edge of the dough into the log to seal.
- 11Cut into 12 even pieces using a very sharp serrated knife, or use a long piece of floss to "cut off the circulation" of the log. I make the piece even by first cutting the log into even halves, then cutting each of the original halves into half, and then cutting each quarter section into thirds.
- 12Allow dough to rise 30-45 minutes in a warm place, or leave out 10 minutes before you go to bed, then cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in the refrigerator overnight.
- 13Preheat oven to 350°F Bake 25-30 minutes, until light golden brown.
- 14In a small bowl, mix water and powdered sugar. It should be the consistency of melted chocolate; if it's too thick, add water 1/4 tsp at a time until it reaches the correct consistency.
- 15Use a fork to drizzle glaze over the cinnamon rolls. Use a spatula or cookie turner to section off rolls and pull them out. Serve water, with a pat of butter on top if desired.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Santa Cruz Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.2
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 35.7 mg
- Sodium 254.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 5.4 g