Recipe by Um Safia
Published for ZWT III. A delicious vegetarian casserole from Mexico. Easy to make.
Top Review by Glori-B
Great dish! I set this up the night before and just baked it off the next day. Many complements! Very yummy! Make it as written (except for using a blend of cheddar and pepper jack cheese) and will definitely make this again!
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 14 ounces chopped plum tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup favorite salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced avocados or 1 cup guacamole, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine first 6 ingredients, bringing the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in beans.
- Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom of a 13x9-inch pan. Top that with half of the tortillas, overlapping as necessary and half of the cheese. Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture, then remaining tortillas and bean mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes.
- Serve by topping with the sliced avocado or guacamole.