Recipe by xo Irene
Layers of crisp meringue covered with buttercream frosting.
Top Review by paagiela
I love ordering this at the Filipino restaurants. I always like to try to do things on my own so I found this recipe and gave it a whirl. The only thing I did differently was use vanilla extract for the frosting instead of rum. I just used whatever baking pans I had on hand and trimmed them to the same size once I stacked the layers. The taste of it was spot on and I especially love the meringue layers. I thought the frosting was very yellow though which looked very different from what I'm used to at the restaurants. So after I iced with the recipe's frosting I also covered it with regular buttercream for looks which is how it turned out in the my picture. It definitely tasted better without that buttercream though. I give 3 stars because this cake is difficult to work with since the layers are so fragile and because of how yellow the frosting is compared to what I'm used to. But I just love the taste!! I just wish it were easier to make.
- 6 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour three inverted 18" x 15" cookie sheets and set aside.
- To make the meringue, beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until egg whites are very stiff.
- Fold in cashew nuts and vanilla.
- Spread thinly in prepared pans.
- Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut wafers down the center if desired.
- Loosen and slide wafers to a flat surface and cool.
- To make the frosting, boil sugar and water until it spins a thread.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks until thick.
- Pour syrup into eggyolks in thin streams while beating.
- Cool the eggyolk mixture.
- Cream in the butter.
- Blend in the rum.
- To assemble the Sans Rival, layer the wafers on top of eachother with frosting in between each layer.
- Cover the top and sides with frosting and sprinkle the top with cashew nuts is desired.
- Served chilled.