Prep 6 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Rice breads that are steamed in aluminium bowls/ idli moulds and are lovely when had plain or with curries. Normally toddy is used in this recipe but I make them without it (if you have access to it add it instead of the yeast. )
- 2 cups boiled rice
- 2 cups raw rice
- 3⁄4 cup split white lentils (urad)
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast or 1⁄2 bottle toddy
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Wash and soak each of the each kind of rice and the lentils overnight or for 8 hours, separately.
- Then grind all the three together to a fine paste with the coconut milk.
- Put the dry yeast in a bowl with sugar and 3 tablespoons warm water.
- When it froths, add it to the ground batter.
- Add salt to taste and keep aside for 5 hours till it doubles in quantity.
- Get the steaming vessel ready on medium flame with the required amount of water in it.
- Put a tablespoonful of the batter into each of the moulds/ aluminuim bowls and steam on medium heat till the sannas are fluffy and done right through (around 15 mins) or when a skewer pierced into one comes out clean.
- All of them may not go into the steamer in one round so do them in batches.
Great, simple recipe. I love sannas, and these surely hit the spot. THanks!!!!