Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Sannas are the favourite accompaniment to replace bread in a exclusively Goan cuisine.
- 2 kg rice, preferably fat rice from the fields
- 2 large coconuts
- 1 kg sugar
- 1150 ml toddy
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- Soak the rice overnight. Grind the drained rice to a fine paste in the morning.
- Grate and grind the coconuts.
- Strain the toddy to remove sediment and add sugar to it.
- Mix the ground coconut and rice using the sweetened toddy. Add little water to the mixture slightly.
- Put in a large container and keep aside till the mixture begins to rise (2-3 hours). Then boil water in a steaming vessel.
- Take some saucers, pour about 1 ½ ladles of the mixture in each saucer. Steam for 20 to 25 minutes on high heat.
- Eat with sorpotel or as a tea-time snack.