Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups refined flour (maida)
- 1⁄4 cup hintz Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl, one at a time, until stiff but not dry.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Cream in the melted margarine.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Grease a square shaped 9 inch baking pan.
- Stir in the orange juice and essence so that you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 175C for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake pulls out clean.
- Serve warm/cool.
- Note: If serving this cold, sift icing sugar over this.
Appreciated the combination of chocolate and orange. Add finely grated fresh orange peel for a zing.