Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a nice way to prepare chicken burger if you want to trim off the excess calories! It comes from the famous Indian Chef, Sanjeev Kapoor and I found it in the Young Times magazine. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground chicken, washed and drained
- 1 small onion, peeled,washed and chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, peeled,washed and chopped finely
- 1 small apple, washed,peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 cup cooked white basmati rice
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- oil, to shallow fry
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger, washed,peeled,washed again and grated
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 whole wheat rolls
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken mince, onion, garlic, apple and the boiled rice.
- Add salt, basil, oregano and pepper powder, and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame.
- Shape the prepared mixture into patties.
- Shallow fry the patties in the hot oil on both sides till they are golden brown.
- Remove and drain the excess oil from the patties' on clean paper towels.
- Now start preparing the sauce.
- To do so, heat oil in a pan.
- Add the grated ginger and saute briefly until the raw smell of the ginger is gone.
- Stir in the orange juice, brown sugar, salt and soy sauce.
- Lower flame, add tomato puree and red chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Cook on a simmer till it is slightly reduced.
- Add the cornflour to the water and mix well ensuring that no lumps are formed.
- Add the cornflour-water mixture to the sauce.
- Mix till the sauce is of a sufficiently thick consistency.
- Slit the buns into two.
- Place a lettuce leaf on one half.
- Place the chicken burger over it.
- Cover it with the other half.
- Serve immediately with the sauce.