Sangrita is a popular beverage to drink with tequila. Not to be confused with "sangria," a fruit and wine concoction, this beverage is a tangy mixture of tomato and orange juices, usually spiked with hot chiles and lime juice. It may sound odd in flavor, but sangrita is the perfect accompaniment to good quality tequila, like an aged anejo or a good reposado. The tequila and sangrita are poured into separate shot glasses and the two are alternately sipped, not chased. First the tequila, then the chilled sangrita. Slowly, one after the other. (from Wikipedia definition) This is a spicy drink, if you are concerned about it being too hot, only add in half of the spicy ingredients. You can always add more later!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 ounces tomato juice (or V-8)
- 9 ounces orange juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper (preferably red pepper, but black will do)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 serrano peppers
- 1 small white onion
- 1Chop to the point of Liquid, the serrano peppers and the onion in the food processor, you may need to add some of the tomato juice with it to get it to chop up all of the way. It won't go totally liquid, but don't feel that you can chop it too much.
- 2Mix the rest of the ingredients, Tabasco and Cilantro are optional, but add nice flavor and color. Put them in a blender or in a jar that you can shake them up inside.
- 3Mix in the onion and serrano peppers.
- 4For best flavor, Let sit for 24 hours.
- 5If you prefer, after 24 hours you can strain the mixture. Keeping the liquid part. It is a personal preference.
- 6If the drink is too spicy for you, add in more tomato and orange juice, keeping them in a 2 to 1 ratio.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sangrita (Mexican Tequila Accompaniment)
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 36.3
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 207.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: