Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Check out a Mexican fiesta of lush tomatoes, sharp chilies and heady tequila in this dramatic summer drink combination. Instead of using fresh tomatoes, this drink can also be made with a 14 ounce can of chopped tomatoes.
- 453.59 g red ripe tomato
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 fresh serrano chilies or 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and chopped
- 118.29 ml orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 limes, juice of
- 2.46 ml superfine sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 340.19 g tequila (8 shots)
- With a sharp knife, score the base of each tomato in a small cross-shape. Place the tomatoes in a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Leave for 3 minutes.
- Lift the tomatoes out with a slotted spoon and plunge into a second bowl of cold water. The skins will have begun to peel back from the crosses. Remove the skins, cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon.
- Chop the tomato flesh and transfer to a food processor. Add the onion, chilies, orange juice, lime juice, sugar and salt. Process until all the mixture is very smooth,
- Pour the tomato mixture into a jug and add the tequila. Stir well to mix everything together. Chill for about an hour before serving.