Recipe by JackieOhNo!
A festive wine sorbet that would be an elegant addition to any special gathering, but is especially suitable for outdoor entertaining. Prep time does not include chilling time or overnight freezing time. To cool the sugar syrup mixture quickly, place bowl in larger bowl of ice and stir occasionally. It should be cold in about 15 minutes.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 very thin lemon slices
- 2 very thin orange slices
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 2-1/2-inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat sugar and the water in noncorrosive saucepan to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil 3 minutes without stirring. Pour into small bowl and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours. (Tip: To cool the sugar syrup mixture quickly, place bowl in larger bowl of ice and stir occasionally. It should be cold in about 15 minutes.).
- Meanwhile, combine wine, lemon and orange slices, cloves and cinnamon in small saucepan. Heat slowly to simmering. Strain through sieve into bowl, pressing fruit with back of spoon to extract as mush liquid as possible. Refrigerate until cold.
- Mix wine and sugar syrup, pour into 8" cake pan, and freeze overnight.
- The next day, transfer ice to food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return to baking pan and freeze until firm, about 3 hours, stirring once halfway through. Scoop into chilled wineglasses to serve.