Recipe by Gillian Spence
This recipe makes two pitchers in order to use the entire bottle of wine; you can always half the recipe for a smaller amount of people.
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- 2 red apples, cored and diced in to small chunks
- 1 bunch red seedless grapes, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- brandy (enough to cover the fruit about 3 fingers in each pitcher)
- 1 liter 7-up (1 liter bottle)
- lemon juice (to taste)
- 2 -3 slices lemons
- simple syrup
- 6 mint leaves, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- First prepare the fruit and sprinkle it with some orange juice and brandy. Chill for 1/2 hour.
- Divide the fruit between the two pitchers and pour in brandy to just cover the fruit, it also depends on the brandy you use, so be cautious with the amount at first you can always add more later if needed.
- Pour half a bottle of wine into each pitcher, top up with 7up, add lemon juice and sugar to taste (this depends on the wine you use so the amount is up to you) stir to blend.
- Finally, garnish with lemon slices and mint and cover the pitchers with saran wrap. Chill for 4 hours before serving. It is really important to make it ahead of time. The taste will change at first when you make it, it will taste quite strong,but after chilling for several hours it will mellow as the fruit will absorb some of the alcohol.