Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A lowfat soup, hearty and great in the summer or winter. You can simmer this soup all day!
- 1 lb navy beans
- 6 cups swansons chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Combine beans, broth, garlic, and the onions in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft (3 hours or more), adding more broth if needed.
- Add chilis, seasonings, and chicken to soup.
- When the chicken has cooked thoroughly, remove from soup, shred, and return to soup.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- May be served with sour cream, salsa, and cheese.