Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was a "trademark" for a family friend. She recently passed away after a valiant fight with cancer. I'm saving her recipe here so I won't lose it because it is an oft requested dish at family gatherings.
- 1 (3 ounce) packagezatarain's crab boil
- 3 lbs shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, drained and chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup v 8 vegetable juice
- 1 (7 ounce) can crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning (Tony's)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Bring crab boil to a boil for 5 minutes; add shrimp and boil for 5-10 minutes until shrimp is pink. Remove from heat and drain.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions, pepper and celery in the 1/2 cup butter.
- In a large bowl, combing the sautéed vegetables, rice, water chestnuts, mayonnaise and seasoning.
- Stir in V-8 juice, add crab meat and shrimp and mix well.
- Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Top with shredded cheese and almonds.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.