Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
This was given to me by one of my husbands gym buddies, I did make it and it was indeed very good, although I'm not a great lover of mushrooms. I don't know if it was her own recipe or if she found it somewhere, but here it is, I thought it was worth sharing! She specified brown mushrooms, I used button mushrooms.
Top Review by Outta Here
This is delicious! And very easy to make. The subtle rosemary flavor is very nice. Also very hearty for not having any meat or vegies other than mushrooms. Great dinner with a loaf of bread and a small green salad.
- 25 ml olive oil
- 15 ml butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 50 ml flour
- 300 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 250 ml milk
- 15 ml soy sauce
- 1 pinch sugar
- 25 ml sherry wine
- salt and pepper
- 50 ml cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter in large pan. Add onion and leeks and allow to soften without browning.
- Add rosemary and half the mushrooms. fry gently until soft, then remove the rosemary and stir in the flour.
- When well mixed, add vegetable stock slowly, stirring constantly. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then puree in blender until smooth.
- Return to saucepan, add remaining mushrooms, milk, soy sauce and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add sherry.
- Serve with a swirl of whipped cream.
- A garnish of fried onions is also very good.