This was given to me by one of my husbands gym buddies, I did make it and it was indeed very good, although I'm not a great lover of mushrooms. I don't know if it was her own recipe or if she found it somewhere, but here it is, I thought it was worth sharing! She specified brown mushrooms, I used button mushrooms.
- Heat oil and butter in large pan. Add onion and leeks and allow to soften without browning.
- Add rosemary and half the mushrooms. fry gently until soft, then remove the rosemary and stir in the flour.
- When well mixed, add vegetable stock slowly, stirring constantly. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then puree in blender until smooth.
- Return to saucepan, add remaining mushrooms, milk, soy sauce and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add sherry.
- Serve with a swirl of whipped cream.
- A garnish of fried onions is also very good.