Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My mom's friend Sandy used to make these wonderful baked beans when I was a kid. They can be made in the oven, crockpot, or a Nesco roaster. When taking them to potlucks or family events, I recommend doubling the batch. Enjoy!
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 4 tablespoons onions, cut fine or minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 lb bacon, raw,chopped
- 3⁄8 cup sugar
- 3⁄8 cup light brown sugar
- 3⁄8 teaspoon dried mustard
- Wash the beans and soak overnight.
- On the stove, simmer 6 cups of water, beans, salt, and onion for 20 minutes.
- Remove from stove and add the remaining ingredients.
- Bake in covered casserole at 325, or in crockpot on low, for 6-8 hours.
- Check periodically and add liquid if necessary.
- These are good served either hot or cold.
Believe it or not it is 2:20 in the am, and I have to stay up studying, so I just finished this, and tried it. It's almost like the recipe I had (that I lost except mine had mollases. It will be my new recipe now. They are really good. I omitted the salt as I am on a sodium resticted diet, and used low sodium bacon. I really did enjoy this.