Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have tried a lot of carrot cakes, but this one is my favorite. The difference is the hint of orange. It can be served as a breakfast coffee cake or frosted and served for a dessert. Cream cheese icing is my favorite.
- 1 lb carrot, grated
- 1 orange
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 x 2 pan.
- Grate the rind of the orange into a bowl with the grated carrots.
- Set aside.
- Juice the orange.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir.
- Add the oil, orange juice, and eggs.
- Beat well.
- Stir in the grated carrot and orange zest.
- Stir in the raisins and chopped nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Let cake cool in pan.
- If you frost cake, be sure to wait until it is completely cooled or it will melt your icing.