Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
For the Make it Lighter Game, I've lightened up WI Cheesehead's "Sandy D'amato's Tuna Noodle Casserole" By changing to low-fat or fat-free versions of the dairy products, omiting the olives and using baked chips for topping. This is now lighter and healthier.
- 4 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon light margarine
- 1 (5 ounce) onions, diced small
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard (to taste)
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup half & half light cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 drops hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 1 cup 2% cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 (12 ounce) can solid white tuna packed in water, well drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat potato chips (baked,crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup 2% cheddar cheese (shredded)
- cooking spray
- Cook noodles, then drain in collinder and cool. Set aside.
- In same pot, melt margarine over medium heat. When melted add onion and celery. Sweat 4 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes - do not brown.
- Add bay leaf, dry mustard, skim milk and half and half and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add the grainy mustard, peas and cheese and remove from heat. Stir till chesse is melted. Add lemon juice, dill, stir.
- Add noodles and tuna to the sauce and mix throughly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place in a 9x9-inch or 11x7-inch baking dish and sprinkle with chips and cheese. Lightly spritz with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes until hot, bubbly and crisp on top.
Takes some time to put together but it's worth it!! Really good. Lots of different flavors from "traditional" tuna noodle casseroles.
Well, first off I will say this is the most extensive tuna noodle casserole dish I have ever made. Mine usually consist of only a few ingredients. This one took some time to come together, but it was worth it. Scrumptious taste combinations. Followed the recipe only omitting the veggie per family's request. Thanks for posting and glad I tagged for MarketTag 08'~