Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I have not made it yet and may update if I think it is necessary.
Make and share this Sandtortchen (Sand Tarts) recipe from Food.com.
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Beat in 2 eggs.
- Gradually blend in the flour.
- Chill dough overnight.
- Roll as thin as possible on well floured board.
- Work with 1/4 of the dough at a time.
- Keep remaining dough chilled.
- Cut into diamonds with a knife.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Brush each cookie with beaten egg white.
- Sprinkle with sugar and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Placd a pecan half in center of each cookie.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F. oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute, then remove to wire racks.
- Store in airtight tins.
I am Pennsylvania Dutch and this is same Recipe my Family had used for Generations, which was lost in a recent move. Thanks for sharing!!
This is my maternal grandmother's Sand Tart recipe and Christmas just isn't the same without these cookies. This was a Thanksgiving weekend project involving the whole family when I was growing up in the 1940's and 50's t. We roll out these cookies as thin as possible, cut them into Christmas shapes, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and then press a generous pinch of finely chopped black walnuts into the center of each cookie. The cookies are then sealed in tin cans until Christmas to allow the black walnut flavor to permeate them. Black walnuts can be hard to find but well worth the effort. Yummm!!!