Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I saw this in the Food section of the Cincinnati Enquirer October 30 2002 Pg E3. By Chef Sandra Wilson. I really like Key Lime Pie and until this recipe have never found one that satisfied me.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup nellie & joe famous key west lime juice
- 1 9-inch graham cracker crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat softened cream cheese until creamy.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and beat to incorporate.
- Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Add lime juice and beat till combined.
- Pour mixture into pie crust and spread with spatula until evenly distributed.
- Place on cookie sheet and then into the oven and bake for 10 min.
- until the filling begins to set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on rack at room temp.
- Then place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Two works better.
- Cut into 8 slices and serve with a generous helping of whipped cream.
Excellent Pie! Wikipedia Information on Key Lime Pie.(10min. cooking time) During mixing, a reaction between the condensed milk and the acidic lime juice occurs which causes the filling to thicken on its own without requiring baking. Many early recipes for key lime pie did not instruct the cook to ever bake the pie, relying on this chemical reaction (called souring) to produce the proper consistency of the filling. Today, in the interest of safety due to consumption of raw eggs, pies of this nature are usually baked for a short time. The baking also thickens the texture more than the reaction alone.
First of all, I live in Florida and key lime pie is a staple on the dessert menu at many restaurants here...my experience with key lime pie is that I either love it or hate it depending on how its made but I had never made my own. Most of the key lime pie I have eaten here in FL is either way too tart for my taste or it has the texture of flan and I really hate flan! So in looking for a recipe that would have that certain creaminess with the right balance of tart and sweet, I decided to give this recipe a try. Let me say, I dont think I will have to look any further for my favorite key lime pie recipe! This recipe has it all...fast, easy, short ingredient list and DELICIOUS results. The only thing I did want to mention is that this recipe does not produce enough filling to fill a 9 inch pie crust. I had approximately 1 inch of bare crust around the pie. I proceeded to fill this 1 inch of bare space with whipped cream for serving, but in the future, I will use a smaller crust. I imagine this would be wonderful with the ginger snap crust someone mentioned or a crust made out of those Lorna Doone cookies! Thanks for a great recipe that was super easy to make!
This was the best pie, and so easy! I followed the directions, only I used regular lime juice because I couldn't find the kind requested or any "key lime" juice at all. Also instead of serving with cool whip, I used the egg whites that were discarded and whipped them up with some sugar for a meringue. I put the meringue on the pie before baking it so that it could brown. It was so wonderful! Thanks so much!