Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
These delicious not-too-sweet (like me) cookies are made with browned butter and pistachios. So while the butter content may make you want to break out the treadmill, you can alleviate some of the guilt by telling yourself how healthy nuts are for you. In fact, the more nuts you put in, the less butter will fit into each cookie, so by the time you're done with all the psychology, you're eating DIET FOOD. ;) You can store these cookies airtight for up to 5 days. (I think stomachs qualify as "airtight".) Many thanks to the sharp eye of a member for noting my omission! The ingredients are now correct.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Browned butter really brings out so much extra flavor to these cookies, but don't think that you will only have one, that is just not the case with these cookies, they are *that* good, I ended up by eating pretty much all of them over one day, I did increase the sugar by about 2 tablespoons and plan on trying them using half white and brown the next time around, great cookies recipe, I thank you for sharing hon!...Kitten
- 1 cup browned butter, cooled
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup pistachios
Directions See How It's Made
- To brown the butter, cut into pieces and heat in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir the butter or swirl the pan so that the butter doesn't burn. Remove from heat when butter turns light brown and gives off a nutty aroma. Pour into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until very smooth. Beat in egg yolk until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- In another bowl, mix flour, cardamom, and baking soda. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. I use my wonderful Silpat mat!
- Bake cookies in a 325° oven until golden brown on the bottom, 16 to 18 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. Using a wide spatula, transfer the cookies to racks to cool completely.