This is a very sweet rich and decadent dessert. It looks very fancy when done but is pretty easy for a novice cook to put together. The recipe says it serves 24 but I think that would be stretching it a bit as the slices would be rather thin to get that many. Especially if you have a sweet tooth ;-)
- 1⁄2 cup hot black coffee or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
For BUTTERCREAM ICING
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
For POURABLE FUDGE FROSTING
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 lb butter, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Cake: In large bowl, combine coffee and cocoa; beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add oil; beat for 30 seconds; add buttermilk; beat for 30 seconds; add baking soda; beat for 30 seconds; add salt; beat for 30 seconds; add vanilla; beat for 30 seconds; add eggs; beat for 30 seconds; add sugar; beat for 30 seconds.
- Add flour; beat for 5 minutes.
- Batter will be very bubbly.
- Pour batter into greased (9x13 inch) pan and bake at 375ºF for 35-40 minutes.
- For SANDERS' BUTTERCREAM ICING: Place butter in mixing bowl, add 2 cups powdered sugar; mix at low speed to obtain smooth paste.
- Whip at medium speed, adding milk slowly and gradually, until light and fluffy.
- Using a very clean bowl and beater, whip egg whites until stiff while adding the 1/2 cup powdered sugar slowly.
- Mix this meringue slowly into the above mixture.
- Add vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- This last amount of sugar can be doubled if stiffer icing is desired.
- For POURABLE FUDGE FROSTING: Over medium-high heat, combine buttermilk, sugar, corn syrup, salt and half the butter.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- When mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, remove from heat.
- Add remaining butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- This will have a"pouring consistency".
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE: prepare cake as directed.
- When cake is cooled, place cake in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare buttercream icing, then shape into (1 inch) rolls, placing on frozen cake, 1 inch apart across the top of the cake.
- Return to the freezer for at least an additional 15 minutes.
- Apply cooled fudge frosting to top of cake, covering buttercream rolls completely.
- Return to freezer for several minutes or more to set frosting.