1/2 Photos of Sanders' Chocolate Bumpy Cake
1 hr 20 mins
This is a very sweet rich and decadent dessert. It looks very fancy when done but is pretty easy for a novice cook to put together. The recipe says it serves 24 but I think that would be stretching it a bit as the slices would be rather thin to get that many. Especially if you have a sweet tooth ;-)
My Private Note
9x13 in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup hot black coffee or 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
For BUTTERCREAM ICING
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
For POURABLE FUDGE FROSTING
- 1For Cake: In large bowl, combine coffee and cocoa; beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- 2Add oil; beat for 30 seconds; add buttermilk; beat for 30 seconds; add baking soda; beat for 30 seconds; add salt; beat for 30 seconds; add vanilla; beat for 30 seconds; add eggs; beat for 30 seconds; add sugar; beat for 30 seconds.
- 3Add flour; beat for 5 minutes.
- 4Batter will be very bubbly.
- 5Pour batter into greased (9x13 inch) pan and bake at 375ºF for 35-40 minutes.
- 6For SANDERS' BUTTERCREAM ICING: Place butter in mixing bowl, add 2 cups powdered sugar; mix at low speed to obtain smooth paste.
- 7Whip at medium speed, adding milk slowly and gradually, until light and fluffy.
- 8Using a very clean bowl and beater, whip egg whites until stiff while adding the 1/2 cup powdered sugar slowly.
- 9Mix this meringue slowly into the above mixture.
- 10Add vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- 11This last amount of sugar can be doubled if stiffer icing is desired.
- 12For POURABLE FUDGE FROSTING: Over medium-high heat, combine buttermilk, sugar, corn syrup, salt and half the butter.
- 13Bring mixture to a boil.
- 14When mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, remove from heat.
- 15Add remaining butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- 16This will have a"pouring consistency".
- 17TO ASSEMBLE CAKE: prepare cake as directed.
- 18When cake is cooled, place cake in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- 19Prepare buttercream icing, then shape into (1 inch) rolls, placing on frozen cake, 1 inch apart across the top of the cake.
- 20Return to the freezer for at least an additional 15 minutes.
- 21Apply cooled fudge frosting to top of cake, covering buttercream rolls completely.
- 22Return to freezer for several minutes or more to set frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sanders' Chocolate Bumpy Cake
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 552.1
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 80.0 mg
- Sodium 430.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 58.6 g
- Protein 3.8 g