1/1 Photo of Sandee's Portabella Frittata
Timberwolf Creek's Note:
This recipe is actually a Spanish tortilla, to which I've added portabella mushrooms. My sister's husband is a talented chef from Venezuela. When he told me, "Today, I will teach you to make a tortilla," I thought it would have something to do with burritos... I soon learned that a Spanish tortilla is an egg dish, which bears an amazing resemblance to an Italian frittata. Since I didn't want my guests to think they were getting 'breakfast burritos', I tell them it's a frittata. Still, kudos to Rigoberto for the original recipe, from which this one evolved. (His is made on the stovetop in a cast iron pan, a skill that I have never mastered.) Measurements are approximate on this recipe - it's hard to mess it up! This is what I use to feed a half a dozen people in either two quiche dishes or six individual casseroles. (I use au gratin dishes.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Thoroughly rinse potatoes and microwave 4-5 minutes. Drain.
- 2Sauté portabellas briefly in butter.
- 3Separately, sauté peppers and onion in olive oil. Add potatoes and rosemary (and ham), and heat through. Remove pan from heat.
- 4Beat eggs and water thoroughly, until eggs begin to turn a lemony color.
- 5Butter (or oil) a casserole dish, or individual ovenproof bowls.
- 6Add sautéed vegetable (and ham) mixture.
- 7Pour in the egg mixture. Top with sautéed portabellas.
- 8Bake approximately half an hour at 350 degrees.
- 9If you are making individual frittatas, they'll cook a little faster. Using a deep casserole dish will take a little longer. The dish is done when it puffs, and the middle doesn't move when slightly shaken. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sandee's Portabella Frittata
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.9
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 253.0 mg
- Sodium 122.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 11.3 g