Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a crock pot adaptation of my regular stove top stew recipe. It's one with no written directions, and I sometimes 'dump' other things in it. I don't have the 'hang' of peas in the crock pot yet, although I put them in the stove top version. This is a simple, hearty, hot meal which can cook while one is gone all day.
- 1⁄2 lb stewing beef
- 1 large potatoes or 2 -3 small potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup wine
- 1 bay leaf
- italian seasoning
- sliced carrot (optional)
- Brown the beef (not absolutely necessary, but it adds a little more flavor to the meat).
- Peel, rinse and cut potatoes into chunks.
- Put browned beef and potatoes in crock pot.
- Add sliced carrots if desired.
- Add water.
- Add wine- I usually use red, but any wine will do.
- If needed add more water and/or wine to make sure meat and potatoes are covered.
- Add bay leaf and season to taste.
- Turn on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Turn heat to high for the last hour.
- Serve hot.
Very yummy! I usually do this same one but i use 2 cans of delmonti diced (garlic and herb or basil, garlic and onion) stewed tomatoes for the extra juice and tomatoes. Michelle