1/4 Photos of Sancocho With Aji
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From Simply Delicioso--this is a Colombian version of the very popular soup. To serve, remove the "drier" ingredients from the soup--the corn, meat, yucca--and arrange on a separate dish to be served alongside the brothy soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the aji
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 8 scallions, finely chopped (white and light green part only)
- 1/2 small scotch bonnet peppers or 1/2 small habanero pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped white onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small plum tomato, cored and finely chopped (optional)
For the soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 large tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs, excess fat removed
- 2 lbs flanken beef ribs (also called cross-cut ribs)
- 2 green plantains, peeled and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and cut into 2 inch long pieces
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems tied together with kitchen twine
- 14 cups chicken broth, homemade or 14 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs small potatoes, peeled (red or white)
- 3 cups diced pumpkin or 3 cups butternut squash
- 10 pieces frozen yucca root ((2-inches long)
- 4 ears corn, husked and quartered
- white rice, for serving (optional)
- 1 medium Hass avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and sliced for serving (optional)
- 6 tortillas, for serving (or Arepas) (optional)
- 1For the aji:
- 2Place the cilantro, scallions, chiles, onions, lime juice and 3/4 cup water in a small glass bowl or jar with a tight fitting lid.
- 3Add the tomato if using, season with salt, to taste, and stir all of the ingredients together.
- 4Cover and set the aji aside at room temperature for several hours to allow the flavors to release into the liquid, then refrigerate until serving.
- 5Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat for 1 minute.
- 6Add the onions and garlic and cook until they're soft and transparent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, and thyme and continue to cook 5 more minutes.
- 8Add the chicken and the beef ribs and cook until the tomatoes have disintegrated, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming the foam from the top of the broth when necessary.
- 9Add the green plantains, cilantro, and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the plantains are tender, 30 minutes.
- 11Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside.
- 12Add the potatoes, pumpkin, ripe plantains, yucca and corn and simmer, uncovered, until both are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 13Remove the cilantro and the bay leaves and return the chicken to the pot to re-heat it.
- 14To serve, arrange a piece of chicken, some beef, plantains, and a few pieces of yucca and potatoes on each plate.
- 15Serve the broth in a small bowl, and the aji sauce on the side, along with a bowl of rice, corn, some avocados and arepas or tortillas on separate plates.
Browse Our Top Colombian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Colombian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sancocho With Aji
Serving Size: 1 (1376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.6
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 125.4 mg
- Sodium 1910.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 29.7 g
- Protein 49.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: