Recipe by Chef Sean #2
This recipe can be made with either chicken or shrimp--heck as far as I know it can be made with virtually any type of meat. However, I've only made it with chicken. It's more a curry sauce recipe than a meal recipe. Based on "Curried Shrimp or Chicken" from the cookbook "San Juan Classics Cookbook" by Janice Veal and Dawn Ashbach, copyright 1987.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped tart apple (I find Granny Smith works well in this recipe)
- 3 tablespoons flour (AP)
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 dash ground red chili pepper (can be any type)
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked shrimp
- salt and pepper, to taste
- steamed rice (optional)
- raisins (condiment)
- peanuts (condiment)
- chutney (condiment)
- coconut (condiment)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter, cook onion and apple until onion is soft and translucent. Blend in flour, curry powder, ginger and chili powder. Cook and stir for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add Stock and cream, stirring to blend. Cook for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally. When sauce begins to thicken, add meat. Cook over low heat to warm meat through. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.