Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in a Pillbury Bake-Off Cookbook about 10 years ago. It's delicious, fairly quick to make, is low-cal and party perfect.
- 10 ounces angel hair pasta, broken in half (capellini)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth (ready to serve)
- 1 (16 ounce) packagesan francisco style frozen mixed vegetables, broccoli carrots water chestnuts and red peppers (I use Green Giant American Mixtures)
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans (Green Giant - from 16oz. bag)
- 1 cup chopped summer squash
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves (or 2 T chopped fresh basil)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained,pureed
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine, in a large sauce pan, the beef broth, all the frozen and fresh vegetables, and spices through the garlic salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and cook till heated through.
- Cook the pasta while the soup is heating, according to the package directions.
- Place pasta in 6 soup bowls, dividing evenly, and ladle the soup mixture over it.
- Sprinkle the cheese and parsley on top of the soup.
Back in 1991 my Mother in Law gave this recipe to me while we were visiting in Naples Florida. It was clipped from a newspaper recipe section and it was in my recipe file and then I lost it! Imagine my surprise when I typed in the name of the recipe and it was online! I am so thankful as it was an absolute favorite of my husband and I didn't want to mess it up by trying to guess the recipe
This soup was so easy and fast to make, and so tasty! Kree said it tastes as good as soups she's had at the Olive Garden. I used chicken broth instead of beef, and left out the red pepper flakes since we don't like things too spicey. I'll be making this again often. Thanks for a great recipe, Trisha.