Recipe by Your Gourmet Girlfriend
Shrimp with vanilla to bring out it's sweetness and pepper flakes to punch up the flavor. A very nice appetizer. Found in the paper. I couldn't wait to try it. I did and had to post it here ASAP! Prep time does not include marinading time.
- 24 ounces large shrimp, peeled with tails left on
- 2 cups white wine (Gewurztraminer, Chenin Balnc Or Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, plus a tiny bit more
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse shrimp drain.
- Combine all ingredients plus 1/2 tsp of the olive oil.
- Put shrimp in ziplock bag and pour mixture in and marinade up to 6 hours in the fridge.
- Drain the shrimp well.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat until almost smoking.
- Working in batches, add the shrimp to the skillet, season to taste with salt and saute until the shrimp curl and turn bright pink.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Repeat with remaining shrimp using more oil for each batch.
- Note: These can also be put on a wooden bamboo kabob. If you insert it length wise it looks really nice. soak in water 1/2 hour first and grill about 2-3 min each side.