Top Tweak by Carrie Ann
A very flavourful rice dish that tastes much like Rice-a-Roni but with a fresher taste. I did make some changes; I reduced the amount of mustard, salt and pepper,and substituted chicken stock for the water.I think this would be even better with the addition of mushrooms or toasted slivered almonds.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup uncooked spaghetti, in 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients throughly in a small bowl.
- Makes 3 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon.
- Heat oil in a 12 inch skillet over high heat until very hot, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice, spaghetti,onion,celery,butter,and, 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix.
- Stir well and cook, shaking the pan and stirring occasionally, until the rice and spaghetti are golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds and the remaining seasoning mix.
- Stir well and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice and spaghetti are brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and chicken broth and water, cover the skillet, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the skillet sit, covered for 8 minutes.
- This is a great side dish to accompany almost any kind of meat, poultry or fish.