Recipe by Treewoman
I got this recipe from a very old cookbook called "San Francisco Firehouse Favorites." It's very easy to make and is delicious! The original recipe calls for solid pack tomatoes, but I imagine you could use diced just as easily. The important technique- brown the rice thoroughly!
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 28 ounces solid pack tomatoes, broken up
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, cook the diced bacon slowly; when partially cooked, pour off 1/4 cup of the drippings and reserve.
- Add onion and green pepper to the bacon and saute until limp. Set aside.
- Add rice to the reserved 1/4 cup of drippings in large skillet and heat, stirring, til rice is toasted golden and thoroughly coated with oil.
- Stir in salt, pepper, sauteed vegetables and tomatoes. Turn into casserole dish (about 2 1/2 qts), cover tightly, and bake at 325 for 40 minutes.