Our favorite fish tacos! The white sauce adds a delightful element to the tacos. Recipe was published in our local newspaper as the fish taco recipe from Rubios Baja Grill, San Diego, CA. When we lived there Rubios was our favorite place for a quick bite to eat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
BEER BATTER FOR FISH
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic (fresh chopped or powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash red cayenne pepper, according to preference
- 1 cup beer
FILLING and MISC
- 1Mix together the white sauce and set aside.
- 2Wash cod fillets by dipping in cold water and lemon juice. Drain on paper towels and pat dry (note: must be dry before dipping into beer batter).
- 3Mix together beer batter ingredients.
- 4Put canola oil in deep skillet (teflon coated preferred) and get oil really hot (approx 375 degrees).
- 5Dip both sides of cod fillets into beer batter and place in the skillet in a single layer (pieces shouldn't touch each other). Cook fish until batter is crispy and golden brown.
- 6Take out and place on paper towels and blot off the excess oil. Cut fillets into smaller pieces to fit in tortilla. I use scissors - it's easier.
- 7Heat corn tortillas lightly in a heavy skillet until soft and hot. Or if preferred, deep fry in hot oil in skillet (20 seconds each side).
- 8On each tortilla, layer fish fillet, add white sauce, squeeze a lime wedge across the top, add your favorite salsa, and top with shredded cabbage.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for San Felipe Fish Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.6
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 62.2 mg
- Sodium 196.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 31.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: