Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Our favorite fish tacos! The white sauce adds a delightful element to the tacos. Recipe was published in our local newspaper as the fish taco recipe from Rubios Baja Grill, San Diego, CA. When we lived there Rubios was our favorite place for a quick bite to eat.
BEER BATTER FOR FISH
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic (fresh chopped or powder)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash red cayenne pepper, according to preference
- 1 cup beer
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
FILLING and MISC
- 1 3⁄4 lbs cod fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 small green cabbage head, finely shredded
- 2 limes, ripe, cut into squeezable wedges
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (approx. measurement. Add more if needed)
- Mix together the white sauce and set aside.
- Wash cod fillets by dipping in cold water and lemon juice. Drain on paper towels and pat dry (note: must be dry before dipping into beer batter).
- Mix together beer batter ingredients.
- Put canola oil in deep skillet (teflon coated preferred) and get oil really hot (approx 375 degrees).
- Dip both sides of cod fillets into beer batter and place in the skillet in a single layer (pieces shouldn't touch each other). Cook fish until batter is crispy and golden brown.
- Take out and place on paper towels and blot off the excess oil. Cut fillets into smaller pieces to fit in tortilla. I use scissors - it's easier.
- Heat corn tortillas lightly in a heavy skillet until soft and hot. Or if preferred, deep fry in hot oil in skillet (20 seconds each side).
- On each tortilla, layer fish fillet, add white sauce, squeeze a lime wedge across the top, add your favorite salsa, and top with shredded cabbage.
ok, so I haven't tried this yet but rubio's fish tacos are my FAVORITE thing! I used to live in SD too and ate there often....Can't wait to make these!
muy bueno, I just cut the fish into pieces first