Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is from one of my favorite Bread Machine Books. (This is from The Bread Machine Magic Book of Helpful Hints book, by Rehberg and Conway).
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all in bread pan according to directions.
- Select Light setting and press Start.
- (Optional bake cycles: sweet bread and delayed timer).
Being a native San Diegan, of course I couldn't resist trying this one. And it proved worth the effort. We like our bread with a crust that requires a hacksaw to cut, so I set the machine for French bread and dark crust. Very good, indeed!