Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
On a business trip to San Antonio, I discovered this light, refreshing tortilla soup. It was so delicious I had to google search for the recipe when I got home. I have modified it a bit for my family's tastes.
- 4 -6 slices uncooked bacon, diced to make 1/2 cup
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 -3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips and fried until crisp
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup guacamole
- Sauté bacon until lightly browned. Drain off excess grease. Add tomatoes and onions; cook until onions are tender. Add cilantro, white pepper and cumin; mix well.
- Meanwhile, combine beef and chicken stocks and bring to a boil. Add bacon mixture to stock; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Line bottoms of serving bowls with tortilla strips. Add soup, then top each serving with a sprinkling of cheese (about 2 tablespoons) and some guacamole (about 1 tablespoon). Serve immediately.