Decadent Mexican food? This is it!
Make and share this San Antonio Taco Salad recipe from Food.com.
- oil (for frying)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 6 cups shredded iceberg lettuce or 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- sour cream, chopped tomato, sliced black olives and additional salsa (optional garnish)
- Heat 3 inches oil to 365°F in deep fryer or deep saucepan. Place one tortilla in oil. Let float 5 seconds. Press center of tortilla into oil with metal ladle to form bowl. Holding ladle in place, fry 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef or turkey, onion and garlic in oil until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, salsa, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro.
- Divide lettuce equally among tortilla bowls. Top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with desired garnishes.