Recipe by gailanng
Decadent Mexican food? This is it!
Top Review by lazyme
Yummy salad! This was a fun way to make the tortilla bowls. I've always used a tortilla shell pan before. This reminded me a bit of making pancakes because I almost always throw the first one away. I threw the first shell away because it didn't seem to hold it's shape, but the next ones did great. I also inverted them over a juice glass while they were draining to help hold the shape. Easy to make and tasted delicious. Thanks GailAnn for another great keeper. Made for Everyday Is a Holiday Tag.
- oil (for frying)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 6 cups shredded iceberg lettuce or 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- sour cream, chopped tomato, sliced black olives and additional salsa (optional garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 inches oil to 365°F in deep fryer or deep saucepan. Place one tortilla in oil. Let float 5 seconds. Press center of tortilla into oil with metal ladle to form bowl. Holding ladle in place, fry 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef or turkey, onion and garlic in oil until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, salsa, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro.
- Divide lettuce equally among tortilla bowls. Top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with desired garnishes.