San Marcos Sunshine's Note:
If you're lucky enough to live in San Diego County, you know our friend Sam Zien, The Cooking Guy. Sam's TV show is my weekly laughter therapy, and his quick & easy recipes come along as a bonus. The series is filmed in Sam's home kitchen with Haley the dog underfoot and an occasional kid or neighbor wandering in. The Food Network, this is NOT. Here's Sam's version of risotto, and I totally agree with his comments. I've been making micro risotto for years, and Sam gives us a new, equally elementary spin. Sam’s comments: "The thing that makes risotto a pain in the ass (oops, can I say ass?) is that you have to baby-sit it by stirring, stirring & stirring. My recipe is not traditional, but it's also not a pain in the ass. Give it a whirl." NOTE: Go to thecookingguy.com to share the fun watching Sam make this recipe and others. (Click on "video" at the bottom of his home page.) We LOVE you, Sam!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 350.
- 2Saute onion and garlic in oil and 1 teaspoon of butter until softened.
- 3Add rice and stir until it has absorbed all the oil and butter.
- 4Add vermouth and cook for another minute or two.
- 5Stir in broth and cream, mix well and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 6Remove, cover and place in the oven for 18-25 minutes.
- 7Remove from oven and stir in the remaining 3 T. butter and parmesan.
- 8Drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with a little more parmesan and freshly cracked pepper.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sam's No Pain Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.0
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 435.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: