1/1 Photo of Samosa-Spiced Potato Jumble (And Tvp)
Elise and family's Note:
This is a "jumble" of healthy potatoes, carrots, green peas, onion, garlic, ginger and spices. The spices make for a different take on these very nutritious vegetables - it's worth the extra work to prepare (it takes longer than I usually like, but it's not too difficult). This could be a side dish, but we eat one large portion each as a one-dish meal (the quantities below will make a full meal for two). The TVP (textured vegetable protein) is an easy addition which provides protien and subtly accents the flavour of the vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 potatoes, medium
- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein
- boiling water
- 1 big carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup green peas, frozen
- 1Peel and chop potatoes into bite-size pieces and put in a pot of hot water. Bring to a boil and let cook.
- 2While potatoes cook, immediately boil water in a kettle and put the TVP in a regular soup bowl. When the water in the kettle boils, pour enough to completely cover (and even a bit more) the TVP, and cover the bowl with a plate. Set aside.
- 3Prepare onion and carrot. (You can even do this while you wait for the kettle to boil.).
- 4Heat peanut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and coriander and stir around a bit. Cover with a big lid and wait until the mustard seeds pop (about a minute). Let them pop for about a minute, then remove the lid and add the prepared carrots and onion. You may want to turn the heat down a bit to calm things down (!).
- 5Saute the onion and carrot for 7 - 10 minutes, until the onions begin to brown. The potatoes are still cooking away in their pot.
- 6Prepare the garlic and ginger while the onion and carrot are frying.
- 7Add garlic and ginger to slightly-browned onion and carrot, saute one minute.
- 8Add cumin, turmeric and salt with a bit of water. Stir.
- 9Add potatoes (they should be cooked by now - otherwise, just wait and add them when they're cooked. A cooked potato should break apart easily when poked with a fork.) and frozen peas. Stir well to coat with spices. Saute, stirring regularly, until the peas are cooked (3 minutes).
- 10Take the lid off the TVP bowl and scoop the TVP into your potato jumble. Stir so that everything is well mixed together and coated with the spices.
- 11Serve on two big plates. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Samosa-Spiced Potato Jumble (And Tvp)
Serving Size: 1 (531 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.5
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 636.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein